Total Pageviews

Monday, February 3, 2014

The Year of the Sock!

I've decided to make, wait...did  I tell you this, The Year of the Sock!  It was going to be last year, but you know how things evolve.  2013 was more like a hat-apolooza.  So this year I'm sticking to it and I plan on making a pair for each month of this year.

I have all different patterns and yarns, not just sock yarn.  For January I chose to make the Red Hot Slipper Sock.  It's a true sock pattern with cuff, and a proper heel, but done with a size 10 needle and thick and chunky yarn.  It's such an easy pattern.  I wanted something I could pat myself on the back about, to give me that needed boost for a full year of socks.  I have made this pattern for other people, so I had a ton of scraps.  What I did was use the Russian Join to attach pieces  of scrap yarn together and knit away.  The cuff was in a Claret, the heel in navy, and the foot in sky blue.  It took 3 days.

So now I'm onto my February socks.  I'm using a pattern by Very-Pink online.  She has video tutorials on how to do a toe-up sock.  http://verypink.com/2011/01/13/learn-to-knit-toe-up-socks/  It's been a while since I've done toe-up.  My thoughts?  I'm not a fan of wrap and turn!  Still, the first one came out pretty decent.  I'm using Red Heart yarn  in black, white, grey and light blue.  Having such a thick yarn will also give me another pair of slippers, or I could wear them in a pair of boots.

One of my reasons for doing the year of socks, besides getting a drawer full of pretty socks, and using up my stash yarn, was the learning experience.  There are so many different ways to not only make socks but to make each part of a sock; cuff down, toe-up, afterthought heel, Kitchener stitch, fish lips heel, tomato heel, Judy' Magic cast-on, provisional cast-on...the list goes on and on.  I would like to get even more comfortable with sock making.  

2014 has already made a great start and I can't wait to finish February so I can see what's happening next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Id love to hear from you.