Total Pageviews

Friday, July 25, 2014

Yogurt!

Making the buttermilk and has made me wanting to try other things. Since I like to add yogurt to my smoothies, I thought I would give making yogurt a shot. It’s so easy and I wanted to share it with you!
I take about 4 cups of milk and heat it just to the point of boiling and then sit it on the counter to cool for just a couple minutes. Then I add the whey of a plain, store bought yogurt. (the clear liquid that separates from the solids is the whey) I give it a good mix, and put it in a container with a lid. 
Next I cover it and set it out on the back porch for 5 hours. I live in a very hot climate, which is perfect for yogurt making. 5 hours later…YOGURT! If you don't live as close to the sun as I do, wrap it in towels and keep it indoors.  It’s not as thick as store bought, but I put it in cheese cloth, let the whey drain (which I save for the next batch), and I have a new batch of yogurt, made by me and so much cheaper than store bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Id love to hear from you.