Total Pageviews

Friday, May 30, 2014

Make your own laundry detergent

Recently I was asked how I make my own laundry detergent, so I thought I would share the recipe with you.

4  Cups - hot tap water
1  Fels-Naptha soap bar (or any laundry bar soap)
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir until soap dissolves and is melted.

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.  

I saved old laundry detergent containers to refill with my batch.  Just whisk the mixture before adding, since it keeps gelling.

You can add your own essential oils for a lovely scent, however I don't bother.

Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
Top Load Machine- 1/2 C per load
Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load 

*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - You can find it in some stores such as Ace Hardware or purchase it online. Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Id love to hear from you.